Non profit organization
A nonprofit organization, also known as non-business entity, not-for-profit organization or nonprofit institution, are organization is one which is aimed at helping the society. They may be established to help the course of the society, address a social issue or advocating for a particular point of view. It is an organization that uses the proceeds of its income to further achieve its objectives rather than sharing its income to the its members or leaders.
Financially, they do not pay taxes to the government, meaning that they have tax exempt status. They can be found in religious, scientific or educational system. Nonprofit organizations are not profit generating but you may receive income from individuals, government, foundations, companies and agencies. There are sections of the revenue service code that grant nonprofit organizations tax exemption.
The important sections include sections 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(6). The section 501(c)(3) applies to charity, educational and scientific-research organisations. Section 501(c)(4) applies to advocacy groups. Section 501(c)(6) applies to business leagues and trading boards. The internal revenue service is there governmental bodies responsible for collection of taxes.
The requirements for a tax exempt status are as follows:
1. It must be well organized and activities must be in line with legal agreements such as those listed in 501(c)(3). You must be focus on religious purposes, charity, scientific and research functions, educational activities, public safety etc.
2. Its income must be owned it distributed to its shareholders, leaders or any individual. No member must benefit substantially from its activities.
3. It must not involve itself in any political activity.
4. Lobbying, an attempt to influence legislation, must not form a substantial portion of the activities of the organization.
The following steps are to be taken get tax exempt for a nonprofit organization:
1. Select a state to incorporate your nonprofit organization. Decide if you will require help of a lawyer. A lawyer will give guidance thus preventing costly mistakes. Name your corporation and ensure that the name is unique and permissible. A copy of your articles of incorporation will be required to apply for a tax exempt status. Appoint directors that will oversee the affairs of the organization. Get a tax Identification Number even though you will not be paying taxes.
2. After meeting the requirements, You must have to apply for a employer identification number regardless of whether it hasany employees.
3. A well detailed purpose of the organization must be stated. This will be inputted into the articles of incorporation.This will be required by the internal revenue service (IRS) for review and consideration.
4. Apply for the Form 1023 with the IRS. The document is about 30 pages. The organisation’s articles of incorporation alongside the bylaws will be part of the required attachments. The IRS approval may take as long as months or even up to a year.
5. Pay up the necessary fees.
6. File the application. By doing this, the organization will be recognized as a tax-exempt starting from the date of application for filing.
7. Comply with the rules and requirements of your State and locality. Requirements may vary by state, you need to understand the requirements of your state as some may require only the IRS and other more request some other procedure.
8. Maintain you are status as a tax exempt organisation by abiding by the rules such as operating as stated in your application,regular meeting of the directors and keeping good financial records.